According to an expert study by the University of London, 80% of phones tested had harmful bacteria and viruses present! We touch our phones all day long, so it’s a prime place for germs to flourish. But, it’s not something you’d ever really think of cleaning right?
Now with the coronavirus making its way around the world, cleaning has become more of a fore thought in everyone’s mind. And sanitising your phone, is another area that needs to be given some attention. With it being a ‘high-touch’ surface, it is a prime area to carry the virus. Let’s take a look at the dos and don’ts of keeping your phone clean.
- Check manufacturer’s instructions for cleaning your phone. Every phone will have specific instructions for everything. What works for one, may not work for another. If you do something that is not instructed, you may lose your warranty rights
- Wear disposable gloves when cleaning your phone. Well used gloves or no gloves means you’ll just spread bacteria again
- A gentle wipe with an 70% isopropyl alcohol product should be effective. For Apple users, Apple recommends Clorox Disinfecting Wipes
- Take off your phone case and give it a good wipe inside and out. Let it dry before you put it back on
- Don’t spray liquids or get your phone too wet. Water will not mix well with your phone and could stop it working
- Don’t use liquids containing harsh chemicals. One to avoid is a glass cleaner containing ammonia, which could actually damage your phone display
- Don’t use abrasive cloths or paper towels which could scratch your phone screen
How Often Should You Clean Your Phone?
If you are regularly washing your hands, it’s less likely you will have a build up of harmful bacteria on your phone. But now, living in the age of the Coronavirus, it’s not only yourself you have to think about.
If you’ve been out in public spaces, or at work, your phone may have touched dirty surfaces or been near people who have sneezed or coughed. This can mean your phone could have been exposed to microscopic droplets containing the virus.
Experts state – it’s a good idea to clean your phone regularly, but not every time you touch it. Once a day should suffice, as long as you are keeping up with a regular hand washing regime.
Top Tip — Rotate Phone Cases Regularly
It’s a good idea to have a few phone cases on hand, which you can rotate regularly. This means, you can swop cases over and clean the removed case. The cleaned case, then has time to air out and you can use your phone straight away again with the new, clean case on.
For more expert cleaning tips and cleaning services, Extraclean are here to assist. Call anytime for affordable commercial cleaning services, carpet cleaning, office cleaning and property management services.