Save money and get a better sparkle on your windows with a homemade glass cleaner. A DIY cleaner is an eco-friendly and easy alternative to chemical filled cleaners you’ll find in the supermarket. You can usually find the ingredients already in your cupboard, which saves you time and cash.
Making your own window cleaner also does your bit for the environment, cutting down on bottles for the landfill. Plus, the majority of the ingredients you use in a homemade cleaner are natural and you have control over the ratio of each part of the recipe. Try out one of these easy homemade window cleaners to enjoy the cleanest glass you’ve ever seen.
1. Rubbing Alcohol Window Cleaner
Rubbing alcohol, water and white vinegar make a powerful mix to get windows sparkling. The rubbing alcohol in the solution reduces the chance of streaks and spots left behind on the window. Find yourself an old spray bottle and grab your ingredients together.
- Add 2-3 tbsp of white wine vinegar and ¼ cup of rubbing alcohol to the spray bottle
- Fill up the rest of the bottle with distilled water
- Give the bottle a good shake to mix all ingredients together
- Spray onto your windows or mirrors and wipe off with a clean, dry microfibre cloth
2. Soap and Water Window Cleaner
This is probably the simplest of all three of the DIY window cleaners. All you need is some hot water, dishwashing liquid and a spray bottle.
- Mix 16ozs of hot water with two drops of mild dishwashing liquid
- Shake together in the spray bottle
- Spritz onto your mirrors and windows
- Wipe away with a dry microfibre cloth for a streak free shine
3. Vinegar and Essential Oil Window Cleaner
The third easy homemade window cleaner recipe combines water, vinegar and an essential oil of your choice. Most people choose lemon for the fresh scent but lavender or rose also work well. Use distilled water rather than tap if possible, because it’s less likely to leave streaks.
- Combine 2 cups of distilled water, ½ a cup of vinegar and 10 drops of your chosen essential oil in a spray bottle
- Shake the bottle to mix ingredients together
- Spray across the window or mirror and leave for a few minutes
- Wipe away with a clean, dry microfibre cloth, top to bottom
Using the above methods, you’ll enjoy streak free, sparkling windows and mirrors around your home. For help cleaning a larger property or business, call in your local Brisbane commercial cleaning company.