Blinds are a functional, beautiful way to shade your windows and get a little privacy. You can choose from natural styles to more standout designs which draw the eye in. They look great in any room of the home, but over time they can build up a little dirt and grime.
It can be tempting just forget about cleaning your blinds, but if they are not attended to, their functionality and fresh look can be hampered. The right cleaning techniques will extend the life of your blinds, keep them looking great and reduce the possibility of damage and discolouration. Let’s take a look at different types of blinds and how to clean them.
How to Clean Roller Blinds
Roller blinds are made of one big area of fabric, making them relatively easy to clean when rolled down. If not cleaned, stains can build up which ruin their uniform aesthetic. Here’s how to clean your roller blinds;
- Take your roller blinds down and give them a good vacuum either side
- If you can find washing instructions for your roller blinds, follow the method. If not, a mild solution of laundry detergent and warm water should work
- Soak the blinds for around 60 minutes and lightly scrub any stains with a cloth. Move the blinds around softly in the water to dislodge any more grime
- Remove the blinds and lay them down on a clean, tiled floor. Spot clean any stubborn stains with a stronger cleaning solution if necessary
- Rinse the blinds under running water to remove any soap and cleaning solution
- Lay the blinds over a rack to dry out
How to Clean Venetian Blinds
Venetian blinds are commonly made of wood, aluminium or PVC. They generally don’t need a special cleaning product unless advised by the manufacturer when you buy. Here’s how to clean your venetian blinds;
- Close the slats on your venetian blinds and wipe away dust and dirt with a damp microfibre cloth
- Take another clean microfibre cloth and spray with glass cleaner. Wipe over the material of your blinds and lightly scrub any stained areas
- If stubborn stains refuse to move, take down your venetian blinds and lie flat on a tiled floor
- Mix warm water with a liquid dish soap and use the solution to scrub any stains gently
- Wash the slats down and repeat if necessary
- Use a clean dry towel to dry out your venetian blinds (To avoid discolouration, warping and spotting on your timber venetians be sure to dry them thoroughly as soon as you are finished washing them)
If you need help cleaning your blinds or other areas of your home, Extraclean provide expert property maintenance services in Brisbane. Call anytime for a free, no-obligation quote.